What's the best time of year to change your air filter? You may need to replace your car's air filter more frequently in the summer when temperatures and pollen levels are higher.
But it's not always necessary to go by what the manufacturer recommends; sometimes, factors like how dusty your environment is can also play a role. So, if you're unsure whether or not you should be changing your air filter more frequently lately, here is some practical advice by Glendale Nissan to keep in mind.
Car Air Filters: The Basics
Your car has an air filter; that air filter's job is to clean the air before entering the engine. Over time, though, the filter gets clogged with dirt, dust, and other debris. It doesn't work well when that happens, and your engine can suffer. That's why it's essential to change your car's filter regularly – the frequency will depend on your driving habits and where you live.
Car Air Filters: How They Work?
Before air enters the engine, it passes through a filter. That filter's job is to remove any dirt, dust, or other debris floating around. If left unchecked, that debris can find its way into the engine, where it can cause all sorts of problems. By filtering the air before it enters the engine, the air filter helps keep your engine clean and running smoothly.
Why Should You Change It in Summers?
- In summers, we use air conditioners more often, resulting in recirculated air usage inside the car. This can cause the filter to get dirty quicker.
- Secondly, the pollen count is higher in summer, leading to a clogged filter.
- Thirdly, if you live in a dusty area or frequently travel on dusty roads, this can also cause the air filter to get clogged more quickly.
- And lastly, using your car for off-roading or driving in deep water can also lead to a dirty air filter.
How To Change It?
Now that we know how important it is to change the air filter in summer, let's look at how we can do it.
- Locate the air filter; it is usually located in the engine bay, near the front of the car.
- Once you have located the air filter, remove the clips or screws holding it in place.
- Once the air filter is removed, inspect and clean it if necessary. If it looks filthy, then it will need to be replaced.
- To install the new air filter, reverse the above steps.
Let Glendale Nissan Help You Out!
If you don't want to change your air filter or are unsure how to do it, see us at Glendale Nissan, serving Alhambra, CA. Apart from having a showroom full of new and pre-owned cars, we also have a great service department that can help you with all your maintenance needs, big and small. Give us a call or schedule an appointment online today!